- Contact Us
- Student Portal
Foundations of General Dermatology (SC103)
The Foundations of General Dermatology (SC103) is an interactive online course. The course is suitable for general practitioners (GPs), GP registrars, pre-vocational doctors, international medical graduates (IMGs), dermal clinicians, and practice nurses who wish to improve their ability to diagnose and manage key dermatological presentations.
About the Program
The Foundations of Dermatology (SC103) is an interactive online course. The course is suitable for general practitioners (GPs), GP registrars, pre-vocational doctors, international medical graduates (IMGs), dermal clinicians, and practice nurses who wish to improve their ability to diagnose and manage key dermatological presentations. Course participants acquire confidence in the diagnosis and treatment of common dermatological conditions in order to expand their scope of practice and improve local primary care provision. The course may be completed over a period of up to one year and is supported by The Institute Of Medical Education's All You Can Learn model of personal online tutoring.
The Foundations of Dermatology course is the first of two courses in IME's Dermatology continuous professional development (CPD) pathway. The second course is the Advanced Dermatology for General Practice course (SC203). Those interested in this pathway may also be interested in the Dermoscopy continuous professional development (CPD) pathway.
This course meets the current accreditation standards for continuous professional development (CPD).
The course content is delivered via 10 interactive online modules supported by 10 supplementary topic videos. Each module focuses on a self-contained concept pertinent to the learning objectives of the course. Each module also includes embedded video to better articulate the key principles.
After completion of the modules, participants may elect to revise the modules and supplementary resources prior to completing the course exit exam. In order to be awarded certification and CPD points, participants must complete a short professional submission and online examination requiring clinical application of learned principles. Participants must clear the pass hurdle set by the academic faculty (using the Hofstee method).
Participants in the Foundations of Dermatology course will develop the following competencies:
- Understanding of the normal origins, structure, and function of the skin
- Comprehensive clinical approach to dermatological disease including specialised history, examination, and investigations relevant to the skin
- Insight into the various categories of therapy available including topical therapies, topical steroids, topical immunomodulators, phototherapy, and systemic therapies
- Comprehensive approach to the diagnosis and management of bacterial, viral, fungal, and parasitic skin infections
- Comprehensive approach to the diagnosis and management of acne and related disorders
- Understanding of the classification of eczema and a comprehensive approach to the diagnosis and management of eczema and related disorders
- Understanding of the atopic patient and development of an approach to skin allergy and urticaria
- Detailed understanding of the emergency management of angioedema in the context of anaphylaxis
- Understanding of the psoriatic disease entity, patterns of disease, and general management principles
- Ability to diagnose and manage common diseases affecting the hair and nails
- Recognition of the common classes of pharmacological agents associated with skin reactions, patterns of presentation, and their management
Normal structure, function and development of the skin
Essential review of the normal embryology, anatomy, histology, and physiology of the skin.
Clinical approach to dermatological problems
Review of the specific clinical approach to the skin history, common presenting complaints, and skin examination.
Overview of medical management of skin disease
Overview of medical management categories including basic topical therapies, topical steroids, topical immunomodulators, phototherapy and photochemotherapy, and systemic therapies.
Review of common and important bacterial, viral, fungal, and parasitic infections focusing on diagnosis and management.
Acne and related disorders
Review of acneiform conditions including acne vulgaris and variants, secondary acne, acneiform disorder, acne rosacea, and hidradenitis suppurativa.
Detailed review of the eczema disease entity including classification of exogenous and endogenous causes, clinical features, diagnosis, and management.
Urticaria, angioedema and allergy
Detailed review of dermal atopy including discussion of the disease entities, presentation, investigation, diagnosis, and treatment.
Review of the psoriasis disease entity including patterns of disease, diagnosis, and management of specific forms of the disease.
Disorders of hair and nails
Details common and important disorders of the nails and hair including the presenting complaints of hair loss, excessive hair, or change in physical nature of hair/nails.
High-yield review of dermal drug reactions including the common classes of drugs associated with reactions, and specific patterns of dermatological drug reactions.
The course is suitable for general practitioners (GPs), GP registrars, pre-vocational doctors, international medical graduates (IMGs), dermal clinicians, and practice nurses who want to improve their skills in the diagnosis and management of the most common dermatological conditions.
Doctors or nurses who have more experience or have completed an equivalent course can apply for recognised prior learning (RPL) and streamline their enrolment into the Advanced Dermatology for General Practice course (SC203).
To ensure the course meets current accreditation standards for continuous professional development, participants are required to complete a professional submission and exit examination.
The professional submission requires the participant to summarise their new scope of practice including a personal synopsis of acquired competencies. This submission is required to be submitted within 3 months of the completion of the live workshop component of this course. In order to continue to build proficiency, participants also receive a template logbook for keeping track of future skin cancer presentations and their management (this does not need to be submitted).
The exit examination must be completed within three months of attending the live workshop component of this course. The exit examination for this course is comprised of two online examination components:
- Active response to clinical cases: Participants must complete 4 online clinical cases in the domain of skin cancer surgery. Participants must provide their own unique response along with their approach to management in order to pass these tasks. This component of assessment is pass/fail based on demonstration of a safe and efficacious approach to diagnosis and management.
- Completion of a multiple choice question (MCQ) exam: This component of assessment consists of scenario-based MCQ questions. The questions are written to specifically assess the listed course objectives.
How To Enrol
To enrol in this course and make payment, click on the ‘Enrol’ button at the top of the page. Access is provided to students within 24 hrs.
Course fees include access to the online modules and workshops for 365 days. Further fees apply for extensions and may only be granted on application. Please refer to our published refunds policy as a condition of enrolment.ENROL
This IME Professional course is designed by Specialist Doctors and Senior Lecturers from leading Australian University Medical Schools and Teaching Hospitals. Minimum qualification standards include MBBS with specialist qualification and registration with the Australian Health Practitioners Regulation Agency (AHPRA). All courses are delivered by experienced lecturers with proven success in the medical space.
Talk to an expert
Complete the form below and our CPD faculty will be in touch to answer your questions. We know how to take your career to the next level - let us tell you how.