Written by Dr Hassan Choucair
GAMSAT 2022 is finally over, hooray! The exam cycle has most likely consumed your life, and yes, that feeling you have right now is called free time — a foreign concept to many candidates. Exam results do not come out until mid-November and the stress is getting to you; so, what should you do to pass the time?
Here is a quick list of activities to keep you occupied before your results are released in November. We call it the de-stress advent calendar — the hope is that you receive a favourable GAMSAT score on the 25 th day. Good luck!
1. Make and cook your own handmade pasta.
2. Beginners: go for a 2 km jog. Seasoned: add an extra 4 km to your next run.
3. Visit a new street or square in your neighbourhood.
4. Plant and grow your own herbs or chilies.
5. Learn basic music theory and practice your singing.
6. Buy a unique piece of clothing from an op-shop and wear it for the day.
7. Try yoga, pilates, or stretching exercises.
8. Watch the sunrise or sunset and try locating constellations in the night sky.
9. Have a picnic in your city’s most attractive park.
10. Go to the library and borrow a book to read.
11. Visit a museum.
12. Buy fresh flowers for yourself, a deserved family member or a dear friend.
13. Update your resumé.
14. Volunteer your time somewhere or look for volunteer work.
15. Explore a new suburb in your city.
16. Get a massage or visit your local doctor for a health check.
17. Try a cuisine from a culture you are not familiar with.
18. Draw, paint or colour a picture book.
19. Learn and play a sport you are not familiar with.
20. Organise an event or dinner with your friends.
21. Reflect and write a short story on your life so far.
22. Listen and critically analyse music from a genre you are not familiar with.
23. Beginners: go for a swim. Seasoned: add an extra 500 m to your next swim.
24. Go to cinema and watch a movie.